Feel good movies to watch
“Feel good” is a genre of its own, don’t you think? Much like the comfort movies, it’s a different level of soul-soothing escapism. And that concept – escapism – it’s been on my mind quite often lately… And it’s been a minute since I posted a list here, no?
City’s breaking down on a camel’s back
They just have to go, ‘cause they don’t know wack
It’s been a weird, weird time. I struggle with putting to words how I feel lately – and it’s new for me. I feel lost in that “sensation”, because words are my thing. This is how I express myself and lacking the right words is… New. And I am not sure I like it.
But then again, being that high-functioning person existing in this fast-paced world, more than often I need to be ready to move on with my life, regardless of what it throws at me. And I know, I’m not the only person feeling this way.
Somehow though, the reality is not as daunting as I thought it would be, once I started thinking and talking about it. Just another small roadblock that needs to be faced head-on. And one day, all of it will make more sense and I will finally feel at peace. I will feel like I can fill my lungs to the very last centimeter.
You got a new horizon, its ephemeral style
A melancholy town where we never smile
Watching movies as part of the “grand escape” is nothing new, really. Fictional worlds or even documentaries – these all are means to a beautiful end: not thinking about how tough things are. Immersing yourself in that 2-hour long moment is a profound emotional outlet.
Today though, it’s all about feel good, not the emotional pillows, Lot. Got all serious there for a moment, but it’s okay. You still love me, right? Anyway, there’s a few “feel good” films I have in my personal inventory that I wanted to share, so enjoy!
Oh, one more thing – it’s September and you know what it means? It’s almost time for TPC 4th birthday! I still cannot believe it’s been going for so long. It’s been a very difficult year, but I see the glimpses of light. It’s going to be okay, Lot.
Feel good Inc. is here to provide you some fuzzy warm feeling in your soul:
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) & Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) – for some reason, these two became my safety cushion of sorts, especially the first part (which is far funnier to me). The jokes, the plot (it’s kind of, somewhat engaging) but most importantly – the chemistry between The Rock and Kevin Hart… It’s something that never fails to make me smile.
- The Martian (2015) – it gives me the ultimate pick-me-up feel in my heart. A true story of perseverance, mental resilience and with that, funny as hell. Funny in a very intelligent way, just as I like it.
- Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001) – kind of my “Christmas time” movie, but lately I’ve been craving both the comfort and feel-good things, so it goes on this list as well. And it’s been a good minute since I watched it.
- Jungle Cruise (2020) – one of the biggest surprises and a movie that I come back to quite often, as it has this “Sunday noon after lunch coffee, sunshine” aftertaste for me. Always a yes.
- 13 going on 30 (2004) – oh boy, this hits differently in 2023 when I actually turn 30, haha! Nevertheless, it’s such an uplifting rom-com and one of the smart ones, too! Plus, it’s always nice to look at Mark Ruffalo.
- The Mummy (1999) – it has this true adventure feel to it, and somehow it brings me a bigger soothing feeling than Indiana Jones.
- 101 Dalmatians (1961) – right after The Lion King, it is my absolutely favorite Disney film. The “pencil”, the colors, all of it – it’s just like a fluffy blanket around your shivering arms. A true classic.
- Little Miss Sunshine (2006) – is there something more cherished than watching a movie where a dysfunctional family uniting to get little Olive to a beauty pageant? It’s so heartwarming.
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) – Taika Waititi at his finest and this is my favorite movie of his. A shared journey of two most “not fitting” people. And yet, they fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.
- Good Will Hunting (1997) – classic story about mentorship we all could use in our lives. It’s a bit “tough” but still makes you feel good at the end, which is the most important thing.
Love forever, love is free
Let’s turn forever, you and me
Autumn is coming, though the sun didn’t say its last word just yet. And even though I already had my first Pumpkin Spice of the season (August 31st, of all days…), I am happy that the sun is still here to warm our faces. We can use all the comfort we can get, eh?
My cold still lingers, unwanted, and like with every other problem that has been thrown my way, I have to carry on. Had my week of sick leave and it wasn’t enough, but hey – if not me, then who will handle this?